Sunday, December 31, 2006

Saddam's Last Words

Baghdad - Ousted Iraqi president Saddam Hussein has urged Iraqis to assume "tolerance" toward those who betrayed them, expressing his readiness to forgive those who helped kill his two sons Uday and Qusay in July 2003, according to Khalil Duleimi, the head of the former leader's defence team. Source

"Down with the traitors, the Americans, the spies and the Persians."
Hussein had reportedly asked that, as Iraq's commander in chief, he be sent before a firing squad. Instead, he was condemned to die on the gallows - like a garden-variety Iraqi criminal or thug.
'This is my end, this is the end of my life, but I started my life as a fighter and as a political militant, so death does not frighten me."' Source

"Here I offer myself in sacrifice.... If my soul goes down this path [of martyrdom] it will face God in serenity," he wrote in a letter released by his lawyer. "O faithful people, I bid you farewell as my soul goes to God the compassionate. Long live Iraq. Long live Palestine. Long live jihad and the mujahideen. God is greatest." Source

"Before putting the rope around his neck, Saddam shouted 'Allahu Akbar. The nation will be victorious and Palestine is Arab,"' Source

"He was reciting, as it was his custom, 'God is great,' and also some political slogans like 'down with the Americans' and 'down with the invaders,'" Haddad said. "He said we are going to heaven and our enemies will rot in hell, and he also called for forgiveness and love among Iraqis, but also stressed that the Iraqis should fight the Americans and the Persians."
Hussein refused a black hood with a shake of his head. Then he appeared to agree to let one of his executioners tie a black scarf around his neck - presumably to prevent injuries that might disfigure his corpse. Source

BBC: But did he say anything else?
Judge Haddad: He said, "There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is God's messenger." - Source

No comments: